Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Walking Salt Lake City


Once again, I have neglected to write on my blog for months.  The main reason I have not been writing is because of a simple move from Allentown, PA to Bountiful, UT, a move that turned into the move from hell on multiple levels.  I’ll write about the move on another post but not today.

I technically live in Bountiful, UT which is a few miles North of Salt Lake City.  My spouse and I love old Salt Lake City and the distinction of the various neighborhoods.  With this thought in mind and wanting to get to know Salt Lake City, I found a great book at the Bountiful library, technically the Davis County Library (I don’t understand why they call it the Davis County Library when all the other branches are referred to by the city they are in, baffling.)  The book Walking Salt Lake City by Lynn Arave and Ray Boren is great for this architecture and history loving person.  There are a total of 34 tours in the book which I plan to walk everyone!

The first walk I decided to take was walk number 13 – Lower Avenues: A Pioneering “Suburb”. It was a really nice walk with a few hills but not too bad.  I did cheat and at 3rd Ave. and S. Street cut over to 4th Ave instead of continuing the walk uphill to V “Virginia” Street (the book doesn’t explain why V Street is labeled Virginia Street). I didn’t walk the whole 5 mile loop but I figured I only cutoff  a quarter of a mile.  Plus, I was tired and I had been walking for 2 hours at that point.  I was ready for some downhill action.

This neighborhood has been able to keep its charm and many of the 1930s and 1940s homes but needless to say modern condos, 1970s style apartments, and a myriad of other architectural styles.  Some background information out of the book states, “The streets and blocks were the first to deviate from the valley floor…and the people who built there houses here were ….not farmers” and it is considered Salt Lake Cities first suburb. (Arave and Boren).

While walking, I did find gems such as these homes.




Cute house not the car! 












I also found a few eateries that I will definitely go back to when they are open.   This Indian and Pakistani place, Indian Market & Grill, looks really good.  Another place I’m going to try is Café Shambala that serves Nepalese and Tibetan food.  It makes me hungry just thinking about these two places.





I found it fascinating reading about some of the history, such as why most businesses are along 3rd Ave., the east-west trolley line went down 3rd Ave. It makes sense.

One establishment I really got a kick out of was “Jack Mormon Coffee Co.”  In Utah parlance, a Jack Mormon is someone who goes to church but does not follow the rules such as not drinking coffee, no alcohol, having sex before marriage, etc.  I was really sad they were closed but I’m assuming they don’t get enough business on Sundays.  The phrase “This is the place” is a play on what Brigham Young supposedly said when overlooking the Salt Lake Valley, “This is the place the Mormons will settle.”






 That about sums up my walk.  Walking down hill, 4th Ave, towards the beginning of the walk and the car, Salt Lake Cemetery is on the right  The only notable building is a Mormon church house that was built in 1902.  It was beautiful but my pictures don’t do it justice, so no pictures. 

While on this walking tour I was surprised to find this 1902 Mormon church house and another one built in 1927.  I was astonished because the Mormon decision makers usually tear down older churches (even if they were on the National Register of Historic Places) for the new modern style church buildings.  Have they had a change of heart?  Who knows.

Well, that is it till next time.  I hope you enjoyed my post of my new home.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sonya,

    Glad you are safe in Bountiful, Utah (great name for a town). I really enjoyed your walking tour and photos. Never been to Salt Lake but hope to visit someday. Look forward to reading more posts.
    We have had frost here in the Lehigh Valley. Heading out for Florida to see family. Pam

    ReplyDelete