Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Camping

This past weekend I went camping with my spouse and father-in-law. However, I have a love-hate relationship with camping.  Everyone in the family loves to go camping in the High Uinta Mountains, which I admit are beautiful.



Christmas Meadows


Christmaas Meadows



Christmas Meadows


The main reason I have a love-hate relationship with camping is it gets really cold at night in the Uinta Mountains, even in the summer.  The High Uinta Guide Map states that temperatures are between 30-40 degrees at night, and they are not joking.  I was freezing on Friday night.  I was so happy when my father-in-law started a fire. I sat next to the fire and wrapped myself up like a mummy.  At one point in the evening, I even stood in the fire ring; I was that cold!

Me trying to get warm

My spouse loves to cook so while I was getting warm he made dinner - scalloped potatoes (out of the box) and manwiches.
Scalloped Potatoes





Manwich meat
After supper, I was getting nice and warm so I went to bed.  Yes, I was lazy and didn't help clean up.  It's hard to get out of a warm and toasty sleeping bag once you're in it and I refused to get out.

The next morning I of course was the last one to get up.  I woke up to what I thought were co bells so I rolled over and fell back asleep thinking I was dreaming.  When I woke up the second time, I put my shoes on and went outside to discover I had not been dreaming.  The couple next to us had goats that were roaming through our camp to the field of grass on the other side.

We had truck trouble on the way up to Christmas Meadows; it overheated, so my father-in-law drove into Evanston, WY (about 30 miles away) to see if he would get the truck fixed.  He couldn't because everything was closed.  We stayed at camp relaxing and walking the horses.
Alpine Goats

Campsite


Relaxing


Relaxing

Since the truck could not be fixed, our wonderful camping neighbors suggested that they pull the horse trailer back to the top of Mirror Lake Highway (State Road 150).  This way the trip home was downhill except for the small incline into Park City and the truck would hopefully not over heat again.

This camping trip did renew my trust in humankind.  Three separate vehicles stopped to help us after we pulled off the road when the truck overheated.  With the tools of three people and everyone pitching in, they were able to get the truck running since it was a simple, fixable problem.  Of course, we could not have made it home if it were not for our goat herding camping neighbors.  Everyone was so helpful and maybe there is hope since there are people in the world that will stop out of the goodness of their hearts and help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment