Tuesday, February 5, 2013


New 

After thinking for about the name of my blog for a few days, I decided to rename my blog.  This is a blog is process so please be patient with me.

The new name "Sonya's just Sayin'" is a twist on the Southern phrase, "I'm just sayin."  I like the play on words and Red Sonya/Red Sonja is so over done.  Thus, this post is dedicated to Southern sayings.


I have to admit that the South has a lot of unique sayings and mannerisms.  I did not realize how different the South can be from the rest of the country till I left.  Of course, I had roommates that teased me and/or they would look at me strangely when I said something or did something they considered unusual.  All of my experiences came to a head [so to speak] when I was dating my future spouse.  Always the inquisitive one, he was always saying, "What did you just say?" or "Why are you doing [substitute an action here] that way?" As a joke, I  gave him this book the Christmas he came down to visit my parents.  It quite funny.

The most obvious Southern sayings are
            Hey - for hello
            Y'all - a group of more than two people
            Sugar - a kiss or hug to someone
            Do you want a Coke? Yeah.  What kind?  Get me a Grapico - Coke = any carbonated beverage                             

Before I go any further, I want to state that the following sayings are those I remember.  Every area of the south is different; thus, the sayings are all different.  The following are from central Alabama and many of them I say or remember my grandparents using.


Southern Sayings I  remember
            Bad Off - really need something or really sick
            Bubba - obnoxious good old boy
                        Hubba Bubba - most obnoxious good old boy there us (my dad's saying)
            Buggy - for a shopping cart
            Caddycorner - at an intersection something that is diagonal from you
            Cut the light - turn out the light
            Done - Finished "Are you done eatin'?"
            Eyes - Put the pot on the eye - the burners on the stove are know as eyes
            Fixin' - About to do something.  I'm Fixin to go to the Piggly Wiggly.
            Not about to - I am not going to do [insert action]
            Running around like a chicken's head cut off - don't know what they are doing
            Wore Out - Tired; Exhausted; This can be used for people or things.
           

I could really get customs.  The only ones I am going to mention are the next few.   Barbeque is a noun all over the south.  At a wedding, the groom gets his own cake known as a groom's cake which is always chocolate.  At a funeral, there is a funeral pillow given to the family.  (I don't know if this is still done, but we have quite a few in my father's attic from the passings of grandparents and other family members.)

Well, there you have it.  Anyone who wishes to submit more sayings please do so.  I would love to learn more unique phrases we Southerners use.

No comments:

Post a Comment